There are several hair loss solutions like creams, lotions, and shampoos that can help promote hair growth. They work by creating a chain reaction in the scalp. These options however have a range of side effects. Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) hair treatments insert a special serum into the scalp at depths of 1mm to nourish the scalp and hair follicles. PRP therapy falls into the minimally invasive option.
Understanding Your Unique Hair Loss
As you discuss your hair loss issues with a hair loss specialist they will look to ascertain if your thinning hair is serious enough to need treatment. It is normal for everyone to lose around 100 strands of hair each day. If you are losing more than that then you will need a solution like PRP therapy for hair loss.
A hair loss expert will explore the cause of your hair loss like whether it is alopecia areata, side effects from medications, hormone imbalances, etc.
PRP Therapy Works in Studies
PRP hair restoration is a treatment that does work. Studies conducted at the National Center for Biotechnology Information has proven this.
1. Doctors studied a group of 11 patients between the ages of 20 to 40 years. There were three tests performed:
- Hair pull test where the number of hairs released was an average of 10 strands
- Taking pictures of the scalp from different angles
- Counting the follicles in a particular section of the scalp where the number was an average of 71 hair strands
2. The PRP serum was created using the blood of individuals subjects. The doctors inserted a 2cc to 3cc of the serum into the patient’s scalp. The needles used, inject the plasma at depths of 1mm to 1.5mm.
3. Every patient received treatment at 2-week intervals for a total of 4 sessions.
4. After 6 weeks the doctors conducted the same tests again.
- The hair pull test yielded an average of 3 strands in 9 subjects.
- Fresh images showed better coverage and improvement in the volume of the hair, patients also talked about higher satisfaction levels.
- The average number of follicles in the same test area was now close to 94 strands.
How Does PRP Work for Hair Regrowth
Platelet Rich Plasma therapy works on the principle that your body has the elements it needs to repair all kinds of medical and cosmetic injuries and issues. Your blood contains many growth factors like mesenchymal stem cells, cytokines, and other components. The plasma in your blood has cells that signal to the body that an area needs healing.
Doctors extract these healing elements and the plasma from your blood. A centrifuge is used to separate the red blood cells, white blood cells, and prepare the PRP serum that is rich in only repairing components.
What is PRP Hair Restoration
One of the main causes of hair loss results from the scalp not receiving enough oxygen and nutrients. It can also be caused by hair strands not strong enough to complete the hair growth cycle. PRP hair restoration sets off a cascade of healing to nourish the hair follicles. New blood vessels can also develop that aids in bringing nutrients and oxygen to the hair follicles. Patients after receiving treatments have commented on how their hair seems thicker and has a richer texture and color. These are all signs that the scalp is well-nourished.